You might have been seeing the cycling holiday trend growing more and more popular throughout the years and wonder what the process would be for the best experience. If you are intrigued by the idea of a cycling holiday, but you don’t know where to start or what questions to ask, then this list is just for you! This article will help you figure out the pros and cons of renting a bike in your holiday and some tips to help you get the most enjoyment out of bike hire!
Is bike hire better than bringing your own bike for a cycling holiday?
The first thing you need to look at when deciding whether you should get a bike rental or not is the price difference. Generally speaking, renting a bike is usually more affordable. This is because airlines typically charge more for carrying a bike box (which they would treat as extra baggage). On top of that, you might have to hire a bigger and more expensive car when you get out of the airport to fit your bike box in it. So for a short trip, we recommend getting a bike hire instead. However, something that you should be mindful about when getting a bike rental is that some companies might try to overcharge you for a low-quality bike. A solution to this is just to do some research on the companies beforehand.
The safety of your bike when travelling is undoubtedly vital because your holiday can become a nightmare if something goes wrong. The answer to this is that there is a chance that your bike might be safe while it travels, but again, you might have to invest more money into getting a decent bike box. Renting a bicycle at your holiday destination would save not only your hard-earned money but also the anxiety of potentially damaging your bike.
Bike Rental Quality
The quality of your bike rental depends on the company that you decide to invest in. We suggest you look into South Ride Portugal for the best bikes with the best price. Making inquiries before you book your bikes would help a lot to ensure that you made the right choice.
Bringing Your Own Saddle
If you are still unsure about bike rentals, then you can just bring your own saddle. Bringing your own saddle is a lot more affordable to travel with than a whole bike and many decent companies would help set-up your bike to get a good fit. By doing this, it will ensure that you stay comfortable on your bike rentals and enjoy your adventures to the fullest!
Here are 7 tips when renting a bike on your holiday!
- Always check that the brakes are working well! Also, depending on your destination, some bikes have brakes on the left or right. So make sure that you have that in mind when renting a bike.
- Make sure that the gears are shifting smoothly between the cogs.
- Confirm that the tyres are not worn out. If they are, ask the company to change them because worn tyres are less grippy and more prone to punctures.
- Always book a hire bike in advance! Cycling holidays are becoming more and more sought after and in busy times of the year, a bike rental company might be booked up 6 months in advance. By booking your bike earlier, you will save the hassle and stress of not obtaining your desired bike.
- Get a form of insurance for your bike to prepare for the worst-case scenarios.
- Make sure that you hire the right bike for the terrain you are going to. There are an array of different bike types for different types of terrains. Consult with your bike rental company to pick one that is most suitable for your interests to maximize your enjoyment!
- Lastly, do some research on the company before you invest in their bikes and make sure to note whether they are doing their best to answer all of your inquiries. This will often show you whether or not they care about your experience.
Ready to rent a bike? Find us at Ride South Portugal!
If you are interested in bike rentals and tours, Ride South Portugal would be perfect for you! We provide bike rentals and bike holiday packages in the South of Portugal. We have an array of different types of bicycles to choose from that would suit your needs. You can also book bike tours on our website and choose from the many tours we provide. Our team at Ride South Portugal would be happy to accommodate you with all your inquiries and interests, so don’t hesitate to contact us! Begin your adventure in South Portugal the right way with Ride South Portugal.